09 October, 2009

Lets begin with coffee


In the south of Laos some renowned coffee is grown. Please don't ask me who decided it should be renowned and why, because I do not know. It is difficult for me to judge this coffee for myself because it is so difficult to put together the right processing, roasting, and brewing where we were at to really taste the coffee at its best. Much of the coffee I saw was very poorly taken care of, excluding the photos below.

Aside from being unable to taste this coffee worthy of an accurate opinion - the coffee was very good. We drank lots of Cafe' Lao. The brewing method is somewhat of a mystery, but its almost like they slow cook it, creating a very thick, tasty brew. The Laos aren't too worried if this brewing method imparts bitterness because they prefer to add a good dose of sweeten condensed milk. The result is a thick, creamy, naturally chocolaty coffee beverage. I must say - it's not a cup of Panama Esmeralda Especial, but it's good and it has a special place because it is the way of the Lao.



Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment