27 July, 2009

Unemployed

Last Friday was my last day of work at Sip & Kranz.

The journey begins.

I will head home to Eugene/Junction City this week where I will spend the remainder of my time while in the US before I fly out. It is really nice to have a couple weeks to soak up time with family, Portland, the Oregon Coast, and just rest.

August 22nd we fly out. Eugene -> Portland -> Seattle -> Seoul, South Korea, -> Bangkok, Thailand.

We are getting really excited for our trip. I look forward to the sureal moment of stepping of the plane into the hot, sticky, familiar, Bangkok air.

I'm tempted to describe what it's like to get into Bangkok right now, but I think I will save that for when I actually do land on Thai soil - letting my experience rather than memory serve me best.

Anyways, we will be in Thailand for about 2.5 months, with an open schedule. We are going to be visiting and staying with friends of mine in Bangkok. All things are open to us. We can travel around Thailand, SE Asia. We can spend a couple of weeks in an orphanage serving, or serve in the mutilitude of other outlets available to us through the people and programs that we know in Thailand.

I think we will end up spending a good portion of our time in Bangkok, spending time with friends and learning more about Thai life and culture. This in the end is the most meaningful, building relationships rather than storing surreal images of the exotic in your mind somewhere. Relationships are living and changing, memories or sights are fleeting, surreal, & in the end - illusions.

Asia, here we come.

No comments:

Post a Comment