17 August, 2009

Last day in Portland

Margi flew out to Argentina this morning - she is going to serve the homeless in Buenos Aires with a great organization called Word Made Flesh.

After seeing Margi off, I have the privilege of spending another day chilling in Portland before I fly out to Asia this Saturday morning. I am going to miss Portland. The beautiful bridges and restful Willamette River. There is something very special about Portland and I will miss this city.

I stopped by Sip & Kranz, my previous employer - grabbed 6 bags of an intoxicating drink - stumptown coffee. HairBender, Panama Carmen Estate, Montes De Oro, Nicaragua Finca La Amistad, Ethiopia Wondo to name a few. Why is it so difficult to find great coffee around - so many have gone astray for bad beans and over roasted coffee. It works the same with other food - don't burn a good steak, it should be somewhere around the medium - not crispy. Who would overcook a beautiful piece of salmon. I wouldn't even want to burn a piece of toast - the black carbon tastes bad.

- Moving on -

I am sitting in a great cafe called Barista. I have realized that this might very well be the best espresso I will get for some 15 months. Surprisingly maybe, I am able to just fully enjoy this fact - content & thankful. yum. It's hard to beat a small double shot of espresso, hints of chocolate, dry blueberry, tantalizing aroma - folded with equal parts velvety milk in a small 4 0z cup. No poor aftertaste lingers - only delicate flavor compounds continue to grace my mouth and sense of smell.

I will miss Portland, and it will not be merely coffee that I miss.

Asia will be very different - the excitement and adventure. I've found learning to be one of the most satisfying and rewarding things I get to participate in -- in life. You cannot get away from learning when you travel to totally new areas. New cultures stretch you, they teach you things about yourself that were hidden before. I'm thankful for the opportunity to travel, learn, meet new people, and engage with a new culture -- all with good friends to enjoy this experience with. Sounds good huh? I think so.

I think that's all I got for now. Any thoughts out there? Why not take a leap and join the discussion. I disdain the idea of my blog being an exhibit - it should be participatory - it is a connecting point - please, join in with your thoughts, feelings, and comments.

Jonathan

8 comments:

  1. john....our blog is www.degrootduo.blogspot.com. check it out and keep in touch. have fun over in Asia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for spending time with Trace and I before taking off, great to hang out and talk about life and your upcoming travels. - Jake

    ReplyDelete
  3. tis a shame I was not included in this post..haha. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jon, I appreciate your thought on traveling and completly agree. You put to words the thoughts I've had! The idea that traveling does not allow us to stop learning, totally true!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And Josh was there with me...at Barista...drinking great coffee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jon, after you left Sip and Kranz I migrated to Barista. I had panicked briefly after your decision to leave and stop making your finely balanced
    lattes and macchiatos! Billy and his crew are great!
    I am thankful for our acquaintance and your coffee skills! I am sure many will miss you in Portland (not only your close friends!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Panos, I appreciate your comment. I will miss serving you coffee among others as well.

    I'm glad you are going to Barista - they are really great, and it only makes sense to get coffee from them because they do such a great job and are passionate about it - along with being nice people to chat with.

    I hope you continue to follow my blog and let me know your thoughts.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete